Sunday, April 3, 2016

20 things I've learned in 20 years

Happy Spring guys! I know I've been MIA, but life has been in the way. Everyday I see little things that remind of how lucky I am and how incredible this world is. I've been blessed with 20 years on this Earth now and I've come to realize a few things in that short time, so here they are.

1. Have a relationship with God.
In this day and age God is looked down on in society and so is having a public relationship with Him for the most part. Don't be afraid. Even if it isn't hip, go forth and be a child of God.

2. Put your relationship with Him before everything else.
Once you let God take control things will get easier. It's not always an easy thing to learn, but part of having a relationship with Him is trusting Him to take care of you. He won't steer you wrong.

3. Take time to enjoy nature.
Even if it's on your way to class, look around at the trees and flowers and the beauty of the world. Nothing is better than getting lost in the Great Outdoors every once in awhile.

4. Make time for your family.
Your family made you who you are, so don't overlook them. They're more than likely the ones who will always have your back. Spend time with them every once in awhile.

5. Especially your grandparents.
Grandparents are blessings, and I'm so fortunate to have 3 living grandparents plus a step-grandmother. They are full of wonderful stories and life lessons, if you take time to listen I'm sure they can teach you something.

6. You will never regret doing the right thing.
ever.

7. That right thing may not always be the easy thing.
Sometimes we choose the wrong thing because it's easy or comfortable instead of stepping out of our comfort zone to do the right thing. Be remembered as someone who always did the right thing even when it wasn't easy.

8. Always be humble and kind.
*insert Tim McGraw song lyric*

9. Be a good friend.
No one likes flaky friends or sometimes friends. Be the kind of friend you like to have. Be there for people. I'd rather be a good friend to a few people than a sometimes friend to a bunch of people.

10. Be passionate about something.
It doesn't matter what it is (unless it's making meth or something illegal or bad). Be passionate about something you love and do it. Make a career of it if you can.

11. Don't be afraid to try new things.
I never want to miss out on something great because I was too afraid. What if I had been to afraid to move to Chattanooga? Or what if I had been too afraid to be a lifeguard? I would've missed out on some amazing memories with some amazing people.

12. Go for it.
Whatever it is. Whatever is holding you back. Overcome the wall and go for it.

13. Learn new things.
I love learning personally. Today, I was prompted with the question, "What would you do if you weren't a student?". I replied that I would be sad because I'm that big of a nerd and I love learning so much. Knowledge is a powerful thing people.

14. Stand your ground.
Do not let someone walk all over you and mock your beliefs. I repeat, DO NOT. Be polite about it, but stand up for yourself.

15. It's okay that everyone has different opinions. 
I'm a Republican. I don't hate Democrats though. I'm a Catholic (which is a Christian). I don't hate people of other religions though. It's called tolerance and it's important to have. It's okay to disagree with people as long as you respect their opinion.

16. You can't always get it right.
But you sure can try your best to.

17. Life is tricky.
If there's anything I've learned it's that life is not easy, but it's what you make it.

18. Attitude is important.
A good attitude can go a long way. You can have a great day or a terrible day and it's all up to you. Wake up with a mindset that everyday will be a great day.

19. Work ethic is everything.
We live in a world with a poor work ethic. We have become lazy and selfish and we don't want to work for anything. I was taught by my grandpa that if you want nice things you have to work for them. I do everything 110% and I naturally expect everyone else to do so as well, but that's not always the case. Be someone with a strong work ethic.

20. Have fun.
It's so easy to get bogged down in daily life. Go out with your girlfriends on a Monday night. Go for a hike. Go to the beach. Read a book. Whatever it is you do for fun do it. Life is short.

Maybe you listen to some of these, maybe you ignore all of them. It's up to you.

Until next time,
B

P.S. 55 days until Spain!!!



No comments:

Post a Comment