Thursday, December 24, 2015

The Christmas Story

Hey guys! I know it's a little late to be blogging (especially on Christmas Eve!), but as I was doing my nightly prayers and Bible reading inspiration struck. On Christmas particularly, I always read one of the stories of Jesus' birth from the Bible regardless of the chapter that I'm in the middle of. Tonight I read the account from Luke (Luke 2:1-21). Even though it's a story you've heard a million times probably, and may have even heard tonight as I did, I still love reading it. As I read tonight and let the words really sink in I understood the story more than I ever have, and the significance with it. Guys, God, The God, the One and Only God, Creator of the Universe, sent his one and only son to us. Not only did he send him, but he sent him in the form of an innocent and vulnerable baby. Jesus was sent to be the Savior of all mankind and he came into the world on an ordinary night in a very lowly place and made the extraordinary happen. I know you have all heard this before, and it's a tale as old as time, but this Christmas just stop and take a minute to think about how incredible and powerful the Christmas story really is. People travelled miles to see Him and sit by His manger and watch over Him, from shepherds to angels to eventually some wisemen because they all knew how spectacular this child was. They knew He was the one that would save them. The Christmas story is truly amazing, and if it's been awhile since you've heard it I strongly recommend you go read it because it's the beginning of the greatest love story ever written. It reinforces the humility of Christ and how powerful He is. The meaning of this whole day is to remember the coming of the Lord. There's a whole 4 weeks of preparation for it! A few weeks ago part of my priest's homily talked about how much preparation goes into the visit of a diplomat or celebrity. It takes weeks to months to plan all of the details and make sure everything is in order for the trip. We have a whole four weeks to prepare our hearts for the coming of the Savior on Christmas, so don't forget what it's actually about now that it's here. Luke 2:12-14 says:

"And this is what will prove it to you: you will find a baby wrapped in cloths and lying in a manger.' Suddenly a great army of heaven's angels appeared with the angel, singing praises to God: 'Glory to God in the highest heaven and peace on earth to those with whom he is pleased.'"

A baby. In cloths and lying in a manger. A trough. Basically the angels told the shepherds to go look for  a newborn swaddled in whatever blankets and rags Mary and Joseph could find lying in a cow's food bowl. But he was the most important figure to ever walk this Earth. That's what it's all about folks.

Here's my challenge to you: Take a moment today to reflect on the true meaning of Christmas; not the presents and the food, but the real meaning.

I'm going to cut this short, so I can get to sleep now. I wish you all a Merry Christmas and Happy Birthday to Jesus!

xoxo B


No comments:

Post a Comment